Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Doing much running lately?

In my attempt to lead a healthier lifestyle, I recently took up running again (I like saying that because it makes me feel like I used to be a runner. I made an attempt about a year ago and failed miserably. So yes, I am taking up running again.).

Many of you know that I tore my ACL snowblading and had surgery in 2003, and my knee causes me problems from time to time. When I (re)embarked on this running journey, I knew I had to start slow because of the knee (JP, my knees!!) and so far it hasn't been too bad. I still have pain once in awhile, but I just ice it and I am as good as new the next day.

Typically, I get up about 6 am and run on the treadmill at the gym. I also throw in some time on the bike and if I am really ambitious, I will go for the StairMaster as well. But the majority of my time is spent on the treadmill, learning to love running.

The reason I bring this up is because I want to compete. I somehow convinced my mom, Marina and Claudia to do a 5K with me in May (I told them they could walk/run, while I will be running). But 5Ks aren't really racing (at least not in my world) and I want more.

So I will be updating you from time to time on my running and how I am improving. For example, this morning I ran 27 minutes without my knee hurting. AMAZING!! While this may not seem like a lot (I know people who easily run 6-7 miles every morning), it is a big deal for me.

Thank you and I will now be getting off my soapbox.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I've recently taken up runing myself, so congratulations on your 27 minutes!

Julie Bradshaw said...

Well done!! It's so hard to come back from an injury and it sounds like you're doing a really good job of it. 27 minutes is nothing to sneeze at, bum knee or not. Keep up the good work!

Rob and Jewls said...

Hey, do you take glucosamine with condroitin for your knee? Rob has had 4 knee surgeries and he can tell a real difference when he stops taking those pills. It helps with joint pain and was recommended by his doc. Just a thought if you weren't already taking them. I think you are setting some great goals! Keep it up!

Peter said...

You are an inspiration to many.

annie said...

yay adri!

i come from a gene pool of miserable knees. i recommend glucosamine, too. i've been off it for the last month-ish and i can tell a difference (it's not a good one).

good luck!