Thursday, February 25, 2010

This is a first...

According to the College Board website:

The AP English Literature and Composition course is designed to engage students in the careful reading and critical analysis of imaginative literature. Through the close reading of selected texts, students can deepen their understanding of the ways writers use language to provide both meaning and pleasure for their readers. As they read, students should consider a work's structure, style, and themes, as well as such smaller-scale elements as the use of figurative language, imagery, symbolism, and tone.

Today in my 12 AP class, we were discussing how each character loves another in Wuthering Heights.
Heathcliff calls Catherine his soul, while Isabella says Heathcliff is a monster. Edgar is the safe choice for Catherine, yet she haunts Heathcliff. I don't think anyone likes Linton but everyone cheers for Hareton.

Some of the girls in the class compared Wuthering Heights to Twilight and actually had some interesting things to say. But I don't think the lone guy in my class was too happy. Do you think the College Board would approve?

Bella is Catherine, Edward is Heathcliff, and Jacob is Edgar. In case you were interested...

1 comment:

Julie Bradshaw said...

Didn't I (shamefully) read in an interview that she based their love off of that book? I'm not sure the college board would approve. I don't care for withering heights which probably explains some of my feelings about twilight. Book snob alert! :)